Ammonia is a notoriously difficult compound to measure accurately and reliably using standard chemical sampling techniques. The great advantage of the optical laser gas detection technique for quantitative ammonia monitoring is that the optical measurement does not affect the air being sampled – and so a true, undisturbed value for ammonia concentration can be determined. The very high resolution and specificity of the laser method also means that is no interference from other gases in the air (for example, water vapor) – such interferences complicate other optical techniques using IR or UV.
The fertilizer industry has come to appreciate the benefits of laser technology, particularly for detecting leaks and monitoring ambient concentrations of NH3 and HF. Reliable detection of these gases has proven to be especially tricky for traditional electro-chemical gas detectors, with cell saturation, large hysteresis effects and calibration drift being common challenges.
The wide dynamic measurement range of the laser technique enables reliable detection of incipient leaks of both gases, with significant associated benefits. Firstly, potential leak situations can be identified and fixed before they become dangerous. Secondly, there is an economic benefit as costly product losses are limited.
Let us show you the applications were Boreal can provide technical solutions for your fertilizer manufacturing facility.
Aust Dynatech are a distributor of Boreal’s TDL technology that has several benefits for leak detection in fertilizer applications:
- Provides continuous and instantaneous response times and data collection.
- Very reliably delivers accurate readings.
- No interference with other gases and No False Alarms: “It finds exactly what you’re looking for.”
- Ease of data collection and interpretation.
- Minimal Maintenance: checks internal reference cell every minute, robust design, and requires no consumables to operate.
- Low (overall or amortized) cost of ownership (because they can last +20 years) and low operation and maintenance costs.
- Our technology is as close to set, collect, and forget as possible.